This is one of those recipes that I saw on Pinterest but was pretty sure I would never make. However, Justin loves lasagna and I hate red sauce so this seemed like a great compromise. I was expecting it to be way harder than it actually was.
I made some changes to the original Pinterest recipe. I omitted the butternut squash puree mainly because I couldn't find it in my Publix but also because I am not sure how I felt about it in this recipe. After making it we have decided that even though we loved it, we will definitely make some changes to it next time, like adding sun dried tomatoes. All in all, we did love it the way it was too.
White Chicken Lasagna
1. Melt butter in a large saucepot. Add onions and garlic and cook over medium heat until translucent.
- 1 box cooked lasagna noodles
- 1/2 c. butter
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 c. flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 c. chicken broth
- 2 c. nonfat milk
- 4 c. mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 c. shredded or grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 c. part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 c. cooked and shredded chicken
- 1 small box frozen spinach, thawed and drained; liquid squeezed out
2. Add flour, salt, and pepper. Cook flour mixture 1-2 minutes.
3. Add chicken broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1 minute.
4. Turn off heat and add 2 cups mozzarella cheese and 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese. Stir in dried spices.
5. Lightly spray a 9×13″ baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Ladle some cheese sauce onto the bottom to thinly cover.
6. Add a layer of lasagna noodles. Layer with more cheese sauce, the chicken, and the ricotta cheese.
7. Add a layer of lasagna noodles. Layer with more cheese sauce, the chicken, and the ricotta cheese.
8. Add another layer of pasta. Top with cheese sauce, spinach, and 1 c. mozzarella cheese. Add another layer of pasta.
9. Top with cheese sauce, remaining ricotta and more shredded Parmesan. (this would be where I would add sun dried tomatoes next time)
10. Add final layer of lasagna. Top with remaining cheese sauce and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
11. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes or until bubbling and golden brown on the edges.
Let is sit for around 10 minutes before cutting and serving.