This is one of my earliest blog recipe posts but I have been wanting to repost it forever with new pictures. I made these cupcakes at least once a month if not more because they are so easy and everyone loves them : )
I know what you are thinking, "What is a vegan cupcake and why would you want to bake one?" A few years ago I would have thought the same thing. Then my aunt (who is vegan) gave me the cookbook Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World: 75 Dairy-Free Recipes for Cupcakes that Rule
This cookbook is filled with amazing recipes that also happen to be vegan. This means that they have no eggs or dairy (read: butter) in them yet somehow they are still amazing.
The best recipe in my opinion, and that of my family and coworkers, is the Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cupcakes. I call them almost vegan because I don't always use almond milk instead of regular milk. I also do not pair them with a vegan icing although the one in the book looks amazing too.
I pair these cupcakes with an icing recipe from Martha Stewart's Cupcakes. You can make this recipe using a regular cupcake pan or in mini version. Here are the recipes!
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup almond or soy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
2. In a medium bowl, stir together pumpkin, oil, sugar, soy milk, and vanilla. Sift in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt. Stir together with a fork— don’t use a handheld mixer, as it will make the batter gummy. Once well combined, fold in the chocolate chips.
3. Fill liners two-thirds full. Bake for 22 to 24 minutes (10-12 minutes if making the minis). Transfer to a wire rack and let fully cool before icing.
Martha Stewart's Brown-Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 stick of butter at room temperature
- 8 oz (1 package) of cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 cup of firmly packed brown sugar
- Beat all 3 ingredients on medium-high with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Best use immediately but can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- Ice cupcakes only when they are completely cooled for best results.