Back in January I posted a recipe for a family favorite, Taco Pie. While Taco Pie is delicious it is clearly not so good for you. The original recipe calls for sour cream, lots of cheese, and Doritos. Whoops. A few friends and readers asked if there was a way to make it lighter and I decided to experiment and find out of you could cut some of the fat while still keeping it something you would enjoy eating.
|Still nice and cheesy!|
It is still not something we have on the menu often but we do feel a little less guilty about eating it when we do. Do you all have any suggestions for any other substitutions we could make? Any other recipes from here you would like us to try and make over? Let us know! I love hearing from you!
Lightened Up Taco Pie check out the Original HERE
- 1 mini (4 count) roll of reduced fat refrigerated crescent roll dough
- 2 snack sized bags of Doritos crushed
- 1 pound of lean ground beef
- 1 packet of low sodium taco seasoning (or homemade)
- water (half what the packet says)
- 8 oz fat free Greek Yogurt
- 1 cups of shredded 2% Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup of shredded part skim mozzarella (you can adjust both cheeses to your desired amount)
1) Spray the bottom of a 9x9 pan with cooking spray and roll out the crescent dough to completely cover the bottom.
2) Cover the crescent roll dough lightly with crushed Doritos.
3) Brown the ground beef and then drain. Add taco seasoning and the water (half of what the packet says to use). Simmer for 5 minutes. Add the Greek yogurt and mix well.
4) Pour the ground beef over the crescent roll dough.
5) Top with shredded cheeses.
6) Completely cover with crushed Doritos.
7) Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until top is browned and sides are bubbling. Let is sit for about 5 minutes before trying to cut and serve.
Make sure you stop by this week's Mealtime Monday and link up any amazing recipes you have been working on lately.
***Depending on the day this post may be linked up to any of these fabulous linky parties.***
Do you host a weekly party? If so, make sure to visit my party page and add yours so we all can join in the fun!