This list is meant to be a work in progress so please feel free to comment with anything I forgot that you think is important to know!
Types of Newspaper Inserts
- SS: Smart Source, a regular (almost weekly) coupon insert
- RP: Red Plum, a regular (almost weekly)
- P&G: Protor & Gamble, a monthly insert with lots of great name brand coupons
- GM: General Mills, an insert that we occasionally see with you guessed it, lots of coupons from General Mills products
Types of Coupons:
- Manufacturer Coupon: often abriviated as man. or man. Q, coupon put out by the manufacturer of the item that the coupon is for. Should be accepted in all locations that sell that brand and accept coupons.
- Store Specific Manufacturer Coupon: a coupon from the man. that can only be redeemed at a specific store such as WalMart, Publix or Winn Dixie.
- Store Coupon: coupon put out by a specific chain or type of store. Can only be redeemed at that store or possibly at another chain that accepts that type of competitor coupon. Can often be stacked with man. coupons
- Peelie: a store or man. coupon that is attached to the product. Usually needs to be "peeled" off hence the name. These can be found in all types of stores and in all types of locations.
- Blinkie: Found in stores in a little black machine with a blinking light. These coupons can be found in any kind of store and many times are regional. It can be a great way to find uncommon coupons for items for you are already purchasing.
- Tearpad: Coupons found on an in store tear pad display. Can either be near the product or on a large cardboard display somewhere in the store. It can be difficult to find these many times since they aren't put out to discourage people from taking them all.
- Catalina: these are coupons that print at the register that can either be store or man. coupons. Depending on the store, these coupons can be for a specific item or for an amount off on your next purchase
Common Abbreviations Used On Couponing Websites:
- BOGO: buy one, get one. Usually meaning if you buy one item you get another free or at a discounted price.
- WYB: when you buy
- B2G1: or any other combination of numbers. buy two of something get one free
- ETS: Excluding travel/trial sized, wording on coupons to keep them from being used on the smaller (cheaper) sizes of items
- MIR: mail in rebate
Publix Specific Terms and Abbreviations:
- YAF: refers to the yellow advantage flyer that Publix puts out every month or so. The yellow flyer is for food products and contains store coupons, man. coupons and special deals that run the length of the flyer. Can be a great source for store coupons. Found in the front of pretty much every store in the circular rack.
- GAF: refers to the green advantage flyer that Publix puts out every month or so. The green flyer is for medical, health and beauty products and personal care items.It contains store coupons, man. coupons and special deals that run the length of the flyer. Can be a great source for store coupons. Found in the front of pretty much every store in the circular rack.
- True BOGO: in the state of Florida, Publix runs true BOGO which means that if you buy one item you get another of the same item for free. This is a great deal to begin with but keep in mind that you can also use a man. coupon and a store coupon on both items. Even the free one! This is where people in Florida can get great deals even though our stores don't double
What did I miss? I would love your suggestions as to what newbies should know. Please comment with your ideas below and I will be sure to add them!